Monday, July 6, 2009

No sugar makes for less fat.

So, completely against my nature, I have made and kept a resolution. I started in May, on my birthday, not January, but still. Since May 14, 2009 I have almost completely cut sugar as an additive from my diet. That means no candy, no sugary soda, no cake, no brownies, no cookies, no frosting, no maple syrup, nothing with more than naturally occurring sugars (such as the natural sugar in milk etc.) and calorie free sugar substitutes such as aspartame and splenda. Luckily, you can find ice cream, maple syrup, diet sodas, pudding, and some candy made with splenda, not sugar. "Well," you say pompously, "Sugar isn't the only thing, you have to take into account the fat content and total calories along with a lot of blah blah blah." That is true, yes, but considering the calories per gram of sugar, a diet free from added sugar is a diet with a radically reduced amount of calories. Its has worked. Very well. Its all in the mind.

If you choose to pass over the above named sugary sweets, by default you take in less calories. Yes, the sugar part of unhealthy foods is a small part, but it is a good standard by which you can control your diet without counting calories. I think everyone can do things like this, an honest look at your habits and eating routine can lead to a personal natural way to be healthier. If you eat a lot of a certain type of fatty, sugary, or salty food, you probably need to cut back. Its human nature to overdo it. If you focus on one aspect of it (not ignoring the other ingredients, simply not obsessing over them), such as the sugar, and cut back on it, you can change your body's need for it. Then you can move on to the other sinfully tasty aspects, like the grease floating on your pizza or the cup of salad dressing on your cheese and croutons.

I think its important to view weightloss (or simply being healthier) as a personal, natural thing that you can accomplish with your own brain and control of greedy little hands (I gorge on sweets and other bad food, so the greedy references etc. really refer to me, not you).

To date, with no cardio or other types of exercise outside of work, I have lost 11 and a half pounds. Count the days. From May 14th to July 6th, that's 55 days. I think that's pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Trevor! I wish I could lose 11 1/2 lbs. I should try to eat more sugar-free, because I definitely can't give up sweets altogether. I love those 60 cal. sugar free pudding cups though. They usually curb my cravings for chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete